Monday, January 24, 2011

Backboards and platforms

As the title suggests, I have put in the backboards and built my first platform.



The backboards have been trimmed down to be the same height, and also low enough to go under the bed for storage. The town side has a two level effect. I have a few ideas for that but I'm not sure If I will utilise it yet. The main idea is that as this area is a bridge the other side will have no background - the scenery is left open.




I have built my first platform (ever) from a metcalfe kit which I modified by adding metcalfe self adhesive paving sheets instead of the standard concrete grey board they supply. Incidentally, it seems that the Metcalfe self adhesive items are not very sticky, so it all required a dab of PVA glue to help it stick. I also found that it helped if I carved away the backing of the brick walls under the platform to leave a tiny brick paper flap that covered the grey card ends of any joining walls and thus improve the look. All in all I'm pretty happy with my first attempt! I will look at some point into how I can darken and weather slabs on the platform more - I was thinking I could mix some sort of thin paint wash to paint over it. More research needed here.



The platform also stands too low on its own, so needs a layer of cork underneath when placed.



Other improvements include trimming and tidying the cork underlay as well.

And finally, just to make sure all work is carried out satisfactorily, the site foreman - erm, cat - Sox is on hand to oversee the work!



More importantly, you can see the two poles behind her, and the reason why I had to cut a hole in my beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment