Tuesday, January 25, 2011

More platforms

Something I have realised doing this project already is that I should have made the platforms first BEFORE I laid the track. First of all, it was more difficult to trace the shape of the platform onto a template to get the platform shape. Secondly, I seemed to have got a very odd platform shape... thinner at one end than the other, and not entirely straight. I have actually gone and straighten the track and platform after finding this. I got around the template by drawing the platform shape onto the board directly and then using grease-proof paper as tracing paper to copy the shape and make the template.



This time I was much quicker at building the platforms for the town station. I also decided to use the standard concrete board the supply in the kit. The instructions supplied with the kit are decent enough, although this is a simple kit. The part about drawing the platform template using a felt tip pen attached to a piece of rolling stock such as a coach was invaluable, although probably obvious to the seasoned model builder!

And here are the finished articles, although they have yet to make it onto the layout.



To be honest, before I started with the Metcalfe kit I had by doubts about how they were going to look, but in truth I'm fairly impressed with the outcome. I have now got two more kits to construct for the town platform buildings - and they are a lot more complicated!

No comments:

Post a Comment