Saturday, October 3, 2009

Baseboard Design

Port Mallard is a U shaped layout consisting of five modular baseboards. Each board is a sheet of MDF, measuring (L)1220 x (W)606 x (T)9mm. The sheet is mounted of a timber frame (square 44mm thickness) to allow space for wiring, motors or anything else that may be required. I am also considering using this height to be able to embed features into the wood, such as a river, harbour or beach.

In my previous attempt I tried to go for the cheap option of reusing old parts of flat pack furniture. I soon became apparent that it was virtually impossible to get the track pins in to such a hard board, especially when the board is coated. MDF is much easier in that regard, although it often takes me two attempts to get the pin in the board without bending. However, with experience I am getting better at this!

The wiring connects from board to board using old hard drive power connectors to link. The track itself also passes power from board to board. Currently each board needs to be slotted together carefully, making sure all the track fish plates are correctly linked. With many tracks (between 4 and 5 for most boards) this is a very tricky affair. I have discovered it can be made slightly easier by widening the ends of the fish plates to allow for extra movement. I have also found that leaving the edge track with minimum pinning also helps as the track can be moved into place. Finally, it also helps if the track ends are flexitrack, allowing for more manoeuvrability. There is a chance I may change this method of connection in the future if this way becomes to cumbersome.

To secure the boards in place I have used spare latches used for doors etc. This may be a temporary measure until I find something better. A mechanism that would pull the boards together would be superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment