Thursday, October 1, 2009

Introduction

Hi, I'm Simon, and welcome to my blog. With this blog I intend to chart the progress, successes, mistakes or complete cock ups of building my first to-be-completed layout that I have nick named Port Mallard. I actually started the layout around March 2009 but I hope the entries in this blog will reflect the (slow) progress up to this point, in chronological order. In reality it has only been in the last two months that much progress has been made.

Port Mallard is to be a modular layout consisting of five boards in a U-shape. The modular system allows me to build the boards in the warmth and comfort of the house, rather than the cold of the garage where the workspace is!

For the track itself, the mainline will be a complete loop with the back of the loop hidden by scenery back boards. There will also be a single branch line, and sidings and an engine shed. It will be wired and powered in the traditional method, but should be able to be converted to DCC if wished. The set up requires four controllers in the form of two mainlines (track 1 & 2), one branch (track 3) and one for line transfer and the sidings and shed (track 4).

The layout theme will be loosely based around the early BR era/1960s/diesel - steam crossover era. I say loosely as I'm not one for being a stickler for historic detail. If there is something I like then I'll use it. That said, I will try and stay within 20 year... the Flying Scotsman won't be waiting in the station for the arrival of the 10:15am Virgin Pendolino service!

To be honest the layout design and ideas are still fluid, in other words, I have not entirely decided what will appear on it. But I have (90%) decided on the following - Port Mallard, as the name suggests, is by the sea. There will be a dock or harbour with siding/loading access, and a sea side scene, either as a small fishing harbour or beach, or estuary/river mouth. The branch line disappears off in land and there will be a small village station on the line, and the branch will terminate at some sort of industry - either a quarry or colliery. I particularly like the idea of a colliery, especially as an article appeared in a recent addition of 'Model Rail' about constructing a mining scene, albeit in OO gauge.

I hope whomever finds this blog finds it interesting and informative at the very least, and that you enjoy following my progress! Next time... History!

No comments:

Post a Comment