Friday, October 2, 2009

My Modeling History

...Don't worry, I don't mean topless!

As a child, and growing up, I have always been interested in model railways. My parents built be one for a Christmas present one year which I remember fondly. Then my dad had a complicated and large layout in the loft for a number of years which we both worked on... well, I probably "assisted", whilst Dad did all the work! It was a fantastic layout and always something that has inspired me to build my own one day.

I first decided to create a layout about 5-6 years ago. Due to the space available at the time (or lack of) I decided to opt for N gauge. That way I would get a decent length of track whilst still using a workable gauge and keeping the space needed to a minimum. I begun collecting engines, track, rolling stock and building kits, but unfortunately I never seemed to get started. After moving house space was no longer a problem to some extent, but I decided nevertheless to keep to the N gauge.

I created the garage work space and tables for the layout to sit on, designed the layout for the space provided and set about constructing. I have now come to the two words that describe this attempted layout...

EPIC FAIL!


Looking back I can say it was far to ambitious for someone with minimal experience - the electrics were incredibly complicated, the track layout design was 'adventurous' with its use of inclines, points and crossovers. Add to that poor base boards and miscalculation on a mammoth scale, it was doomed to failure. The unnamed layout had reach a dead end and I left model railway building alone for a couple more years due to personal issues.

At the beginning of the year, with the encouragment of my wife to be, I decided to give it another go, on a simpler scale, with new base boards and a new design with simpler electrics. And so Port Mallard was born!

Next time - Designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment